Friday, February 08, 2008

Bird Of Prey

If you think that this bird is a large bird think again. Shrikes are small birds known for its habit of catching insects, small birds or mammals and impaling their bodies on thorns.
A typical shrike's beak is hooked, like that of a bird of prey, reflecting its predatory nature. I have seen the brown shrikes quite often but they were always very shy and elusive. These birds breed across central and eastern Asia. They migrate and winter in India, Southeast Asia and Indonesia. During this time, brown shrikes are found in secondary forest, often close to human habitation. It all makes sense as I see them in suburban surrounding.
What most interesting was my meeting with this particular individual (below) that perched on barbed wire in broad day light. It even allowed me to move close enough to photograph it.
Every time, I went back to the location, I'd spot it on its perch surveying the ground for prey.

No comments: