Saturday, April 26, 2008

Yamfly

I found this tiny butterfly by chance and followed it for a short distance before it settled on a grass stalk long enough for me to photograph it. Then it took off despite my best effort to follow it, it disappeared literally before my eyes. What captivated me was brilliant orange color of this butterfly. I was excited too as I found different lycaenidae. The lycaenidae are the second-largest family of butterflies, with about 6000 species worldwide, whose members are also called gossamer-winged butterflies. They constitute about 40% of the known butterfly species. Adult individuals often have hairy antenna-like tails complete with black and white annulated appearance.I tried looking for it but I just couldn't find it. About 45 mins later, I spotted my little beauty again. This time up in the vines and it allowed me to photograph it with its wings closed.

No comments: