Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Elbowed Pierrot

I spent much of Saturday morning chasing butterflies and I was thrilled to find a couple of new ones that I've not seen before. For me finding something new is always fun and rewarding. My goal is to discover a new species each trip.The name 'Elbowed' is derived from the angled brownish black bar that is noticeable when it settles on the ground. This little Lycaenidae can be found in along forest paths flying almost at ground level. I would have stepped on it if I hadn't noticed it flying around my feet. Then came the realization of spotting a new butterfly and the adrenaline rush to try to photograph it before the next hoard of people come stomping by. These people don't stop and usually scare away my tiny subjects much to my frustration.

No comments: