Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sabbai Dee from the Land of a Million Elephant

I am in the last four of my Indo-Chinese states - Laos (Lao People's Democratic Republic). For me it was literally stepping back in time, when I got off my Bangkok Airways flight in Luang Prabang. The airport was tiny, we walked from the plane to the tarmac. Inside, was a two counter set-up for tourists who needed to apply for visas and a single desk for immigration clearance where your particulars were recorded by hand in a book. There was no rush as things seemed to move smoothly along. Strangely enough the process was a lot faster than some big Western airports that I've been at.
My driver and guide was waiting for me and he was raring to start with my itinerary after almost seven hours of travel was really ambitious. Mr Guide would have done better to check with me first since I was the paying customer.
We stopped by the Nam Khan that is still pretty high, see the huts under water. I was at my first stop - Mt Phousi and climbing steps!!We ended up at Wat Chom Si, the landmark temple at the peak of Mount Phousi.At the peak, one can get an almost 360ยบ view of Luang Prabang, these photos were just the beginning of a great adventure as I soaked in everything.

No comments: