Thursday, June 25, 2009

How Much Eggs Does Singapore Consume?

Came across this egg distributor at Tiong Bahru and took some photos just for the fun of it. During my docent training on Sunday with Wildlife Reserve Singapore, a piece of information stuck in my head during the guided tour at the Bird Discovery Center at the Jurong Bird Park on the domestication of chickens to egg consumption. I dug out my old photos of this fella - the Red Jungle Fowl - the direct ancestor of the domestic chicken. It was coincidental that I had taken these photos earlier.I did a little research and came up with these statistics from the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority. In 2008, Singapore's farms produced 338 million eggs and we imported over 67,000 tonnes more. The per capita consumption was 316 eggs in 2008. Wow!!! What will we do if there were no chickens?

No comments: