Saturday, December 19, 2009

Queenstown: Fergburger

The burger joint had a queue when I passed it a couple of times and I had to go in to sample the food. Fergburger started out as a hole in the wall operations in 2001 but has since grown to take a store front on the main street.This is the menu that was on the outside of the eatery. One was truly spoilt for choice. Okay, I went to a burger joint but I didn't order the traditional beef patty. Instead, I zeroed in on a Sweet Bambi, wild Fiordland deer patty served with Thai plum chutney, lettuce, red onions, tomato and aioli.
While I sat at the counter and waited for my burger, it was interesting to see how the burgers were prepared. The meats are char-grilled to order on a hot plate.While that is happening the crew work on the buns by slathering half a bun with aioli (mayonnaise with garlic) and adding the rest of the condiments. The hamburgers are then wrapped and placed in a bag. Yes, all food is served in a brown bag.Each burger weighs 250gms and the finished product was huge. I eagerly took photos and then dived into my Sweet Bambi.It was yummy but half way through the burger, I started to struggle and laws of diminishing returns started to set in. The only complaint I had was the Thai plum chutney was a tad too sweet for my liking.

No comments: