Here's a dessert that you would have seen on the three food channels we have on cable TV. My initial thought was cool dessert but I never got around to try my hand at it till recently when I had access egg-white sitting in my fridge.
I love the simplicity of the Pavlova recipe. It's relatively guilt free too if you don't go overboard with the whipped cream (for those of you who think may be to substitute the full fat whipped cream for skinny I found it not so palatable). I went to town with the fresh fruit topping, which made it very pleasing to the eye too. Enjoy!
- 150 ml egg-white (approximately 4 eggs)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar (I dialed down on sugar)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Place the egg-white in the bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add the cornflour, vanilla seeds, and lemon juice. Whisk until combined.
- Shape the mixture into an aluminum pie dish.
- Place in oven to bake for 15 mins at 150°C. Reduce oven to 120°C (250°F) and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
- Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Spread over the pavlova, top with passion fruit and whatever fruits you fancy