Thursday, April 26, 2007

Chestnut and Pork Soup

I'm not sure if this is the correct name for this soup but it is a soup that I remember from childhood. I've recreated it from memory and it is the simplest soup to prepare. You can also just leave it in a crock pot to slow cook. Yummy!!!
My mother used pork ribs but I have chosen to use leaner pork to get a clear soup with very little oil. Color of the soup is from the chestnuts.

Ingredients
250 g fresh chestnuts, cleaned and shelled
250 g lean pork ( I use soft bone)
500 ml water
Salt and sugar to taste

Method
Start by boiling water.
When the water is boiling add the chestnuts and pork.
Cook the soup over a slow fire or in a crock pot till the chestnuts and pork are soft.
Add salt and sugar to taste. The sugar is added to help enhance the sweetness that the chestnuts impart to the soup.

No comments: