Saturday, April 21, 2007

The King of Tropical Fruits

It had to happen eventually. I bought durians (durians are widely known and revered in Southeast Asia as the "King of Fruits", the fruit is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and a formidable thorn-covered husk) today from a street side peddler who sells his durians off his bicycle. These are Singapore grown durians, yes we still have land to grow them. The family use to have durian and mangoesteen plantations but they are all gone now. Made way for modern Singapore.
I thought I'd give my mom a treat but she wasn't too keen on eating them today. These were creamy yellow and the flesh was a thick custard with a sweet after taste. I ended up bringing them over to my aunt's place and we polished them off there before lunch.
I'm adding this on 27 April as I came across a durian tree in fruit while walking back to my car after lunch. The lucky people are going to have lots of durians if these fruits do ripen.

No comments: