Saturday, June 09, 2007

Sarawak Kolo Mee

I went on a walk about with the camera in tow, this time in the Marina Square area. I've been meaning to try the kolo mee which is Sarawak's signature noodle dish at Jia Xiang Sarawak Kuching Kolo Mee. The dish is a variation of "dry-tossed" noodles, but it tastes different from the dry-tossed bah chor mee that we have here in Singapore.
My order was a bowl of char siew and wanton with mee pok noodles.
The noodles are firmer and crunchier (I forgot to mention that the noodles are air flown from Kuching, Sarawak). The sauce that the noodles were tossed in was distinctive too. It for one didn't have the ubiquitous chili sambal that we're all so use to. I could taste the fried shallots, soy sauce and definitely lard pity they don't include the crunchy bits. The minced meat was also very flavorful and fragrant as the meat has been seasoned and fried. The char siew was OK, too lean for my liking and the wantons were disappointing. What was good was you didn't really need the sambal although they provided it on the side nor any additional soy sauce. Would I come back again? May be.

No comments: