Sunday, June 10, 2007

Super salty Mui Choy with Chicken Blooper

I bough mui choy today as I was serving porridge for lunch and thought it would be nice to try this dish. Mui choy is “preserved mustard cabbage” in English. It is normally sold in sealed plastic bags in supermarkets or loose in sundry shops like what I got.
For the uninitiated, there are two types of mui choy. One is preserved with salt and the other is sweet but still is salty.
As I was cooking it at home, I wanted to try it with chicken instead of pork belly which is the normal way that mui choy is prepared. I got three carcasses and I asked for some chicken fat as mui choy needs lots of fat.
My attempt with chicken was successful but for the fact that I did not soak and wash the mui choy long enough to get rid of the salt. This blooper was tasty but inedible due to the saltiness. The next lot will get a good over night soak for sure.

Recipe200 gm mui choy
3 chicken carcass and some pieces of chicken fat
3 garlic bulbs
2 pieces of star anise
2 cloves
1 slice of assam gelugor
Water

Method
Soak mui choy over night and wash careful to ensure that sand and soil particles are removed.
Render chicken fat first to glaze pot. Add mui choy over the chicken fat, next come the chicken carcasses.
Place the spices into the pot and slow cook to start the dish off initially.
Add a little water so that it doesn't burn. Cook till tender. Use a crock pot or a clay pot it will make the cooking faster.

No comments: