Friday, August 03, 2007

Back in the Kitchen

Mom's finally out of the hospital after spending over three weeks under medical care. Life is returning to some semblance of normalcy and I'm back in my kitchen.
I had tried making mayonnaise previously but both attempts were failures. After reading a fellow blogger Justhungry's posting on making homemade mayonnaise I followed her instructions closely and added oil very slowly so that the oils emulsify. I did however improvise as I did not have a hand held mixer. I placed the yolks in my trusty KitchenAid stand mixer along with salt and mustard, and whisked the yolks with the flat beater slowly. Added in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to start my batch of mayo and moved up to mixing speed four.
I put a cup of oil into a squeeze bottle and very slowly added the oil drop-by-drop religiously walking away or occupying myself with other things so that I wouldn't add the oil too fast. After over an hour my luscious homemade mayonnaise was done.I packed it into a box and scrunched it up a little after chilling it for 30 minutes for this shot. It is so yummy!!!Ingredients
2 yolks, at room temperature
1 tbs mustard
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 cup canola oil

No comments: