Saturday, October 27, 2007

Another Discovery Of The Bird Kind

I literally stumbled on this pair of birds by accident while searching for the common kingfisher this afternoon.
My latest discovery is another species of woodpeckers. I found a pair of brown-capped woodpeckers, these birds are a half the size of the common goldenbacked. They are only 14 cm long and very cute but darn hard to photograph as they kept moving.
The brown-capped is found in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Its natural habitats are coastal and mangrove forests. In Singapore, it has expanding inland. I found this pair right smack in the middle of the island.
I managed to get some decent photos but I was hoping to follow them to a better location but with a blink of an eye they were gone.And of course, this guy keeps popping up everywhere I go these days. No wonder he's called common. Just in case you're wondering they aren't the same size, one is twice the size of the other.

No comments: