Sunday, October 07, 2007

Sticky Date Pudding

The sticky date pudding is an Australian favourite; you can find it on the menu at cafes, bistros and fine dining establishments alike with many variations. I first tried the sticky date pudding on the Gold Coast when we went around to sample food from restaurants to select a handful for a dine around event. I fell in love with this pudding ever since.
Took me a while to find a recipe but I did in Perth when we went on a food and wine holiday. Since then I've added it to my dessert list. I finally found dates at my regular cake supply place and decided to serve up the dessert for lunch today with vanilla ice cream. Over here I've done a sampling portion for myself.
The best way to bake these pudding is in individual moulds or in a muffin tray. Unmould them and pour the caramel over. Reheat them in the oven or zap them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up and serve with ice cream.
Recipe
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
250ml water
1 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
100g unsalted butter, softened
175g brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup walnut chopped
MethodPreheat oven to 170°C.
Grease moulds or muffin tray.
Place the dates and 250ml water into a pan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the bicarb soda- the mixture will begin to bubble up. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
Fold the flour and the date mixture alternatively into the butter mixture.
Pour the batter into the prepared moulds, and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
Caramel Sauce
250 ml cream
60 gm butter
2/3 cups brown sugar
Cook cream, butter and sugar till melted and simmer till golden brown. Serve hot over pudding.

No comments: