Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lemongrass, Sukhumvit Soi 24

I had to have a meal at Lemongrass before I left for home, as I always enjoyed their food. Besides, it almost a pilgrimage for me.
Most people rave about the antiques and the quaint setting. However, I find the place rather dingy and grimy but it does serve good Thai food. Be prepared to pay a little more than usual as Lemongrass is well known.
I decided not to order my tried and tested dishes but instead try other items on the menu. I picked Mieng Gai (minced chicken cooked with ginger and eaten with raw green wraps)as my appetiser. The greens were lettuce, cabbage and beetle leaves.Next came Hoy Mang Pu (steamed mussels). The bowl came in tangy clear broth that was so yummy. It looked deceivingly easy to prepare. Galangal, lemongrass, coriander, shallots, bird's eye chili, kaffir leaves, and kaffir lime juice.To round of my meal, I had Woon Sen Kai Ken (fried glass noodles with salted egg yoke). The next time, I'm in Bangkok I'm going to buy salted duck eggs and take them home with me. They weren't as salty as the ones we get from China and a lot tastier too.It was a great meal and a great way to end my much needed vacation.

2 comments:

HairyBerry said...

Stumbled upon your blog while searching for reviews on Jones the Grocer @ Dempsey. A lovely blog you have! The in-depth Bangkok post will definitely be a good guide for my holiday there in January. Cheers!

Shirls said...

Thanks Nic, I've been to Bangkok so many times but never took time to appreciate the city. Having a camera n a blog forced me to view the city in a different light.