Sunday, January 27, 2008

Carrot Cake From A Makansutra Street Food Master

I went in search of the carrot cake seller in Ang Mo Kio who was awarded the title of Makansutra Street Food Master. The stall has no name and is just called Carrot Cake. It's tucked inside a rather nondescript looking coffee shop at Block 107 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4, called Soon Seng Restaurant.I got there slightly past 6 pm and Mr Ngerng was already hard at work frying up plates of chai tau kway. After checking with Mr Ngerng what type of oil he used. I proceeded to place an order for two packets of chai tau kway - one black and one white so that we could all taste the difference between the two versions.
This is how he starts a flat wok of chai tau kway.Once he's seasoned the carrot cake pieces, he pushes them a side and starts frying individual orders.I have to say that he is generous with the salted radish and eggs. With the black version, he is extremely generous with the sweet sauce that he pours over the finished dish.I plated up my two packets so that I could sample both versions. Overall, I prefer the dark version. Both were good with a balanced with the fragrance of fried garlic, the saltyness and the crunchiness of radish added depth and individual pieces of chai tau kway that are generously smothered with eggs just blends so well in your mouth.
Just in case you decide to go try the carrot cake, please note that the stall is open daily from 6pm to 11.45 pm only. So have carrot cake for dinner instead of breakfast.

No comments: