Saturday, July 12, 2008

Blue-Throated Bee Eater

I finally tracked down the very shy Blue-throated Bee Eater and managed to photograph one. I knew they were around as I keep hearing them calling to each other but they stay within the forest or above the canopy of trees. The only times I've caught glimpses of these birds were in the early mornings or evenings. This evening I hang around the edge of the forest scanning the trees for these birds and I finally found one.The Blue-throated Bee Eaters forage over the canopy of lowland forest and relatively open habitats such as grasslands. These birds forage in pairs, sometimes in small groups. They are breed here in Singapore May to September and then fly off to Indonesia. Then the Blue-tailed Bee Eaters migrate back into Singapore. Size wise the Blue-throated are about 3 cm smaller than the Blue-tailed.

No comments: