Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday Lunch Service

I run a small family restaurant on Sundays when my mom isn't having us shuttling back and forth from the hospital. This Sunday was the first Sunday my kitchen was open for service since my mom got out of hospital last Wednesday.
As usual family members get added-on at the last minute and since my pantry is well stocked no problems in turning out extra. On occasions when I am unprepared then they have to supply their own lunch. I just provide the open house for everyone to congregate.
This afternoon, I served up a curry chicken dish, which I had tried earlier to accompany the roti jala that I had learnt to make. I plated this individual serving not for the family but for the camera. As there's usually many people, we eat in two seatings.
The pairing was perfect and the stack of roti jala went in no time. So did the rest of the food.
My pièce de résistance this afternoon was chocolate mousse. The serving glass isn't up to my standard but it had to do for this round. I have to head down to Ikea to see if I can find suitable serving bowls.I made a fresh batch this morning after I got home from grocery shopping at 9 am. Then went on to cook the rest of the food by noon we were ready to roll with lunch. The family left at close to 4 pm, a little cat nap helped to recharge the fading batteries. Thank god for the heavy down pour the air was still and stifling this afternoon.
Recipe
250 g dark chocolate (Valrhona)
3 eggs
60 g sugar
250 ml whipping cream
2 tsp dark rum (Myers's Jamaican dark rum)

Method
Melt chocolate and set aside to cool.
Place eggs and sugar into a bowl, and beat till light and foamy.
Add rum to chocolate and combine chocolate with foamy egg mixture.
Whip up the whipped cream, and combine it with the chocolate mixture.
Dish into individual serving glasses to chill until ready to serve.

No comments: