Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What Did You Do On Earth Day?

Earth Day is a special day to take stock of our surroundings, recognize the impact that we humans have on Earth and for us to take stock to see how we can do our part to save planet Earth, our home. What did you do for Earth today? I saved this Twin-barred Tree Snake from being roadkill.This snake is also my second Twin-Barred this month but the Paradise still eludes me.
Anyway, I still consider myself privileged, having spent many years diving with marine creatures such as sharks. These days I walk every morning to stay fit and during these walks in the nature reserve, I have encountered wildlife that I never thought still existed in our concrete jungle.
Not only did I save a snake today, I also remembered to go look for the Pitcher Plants that I found along the road that many fast expensive cars travel at breakneck speeds on their way to the golf course. Remembered to do so today as I fear that the plants will be destroyed as they are growing on the side of the club on a site that is still covered with secondary undergrowth.The club in its upgrading effort is trying to grow tall bushes to hide the forest that is opposite of the swanky property. To date they have planted over 600 bushes and have been pouring copious amounts of water to keep these plants alive. Definitely, not Earth friendly.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

Awesome! Your second twin-barred tree snake in a month! Thank god you managed to save it. Not only did you save a rare animal, you also increased the chance of letting me see one :) ...

Shirls said...

Actually, I almost stepped on it on the road. Glad that I saved it from being killed. Hope you get to see one soon.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you, even luckier for the snake! Great to know the snake will live on thanks to your efforts!

Shirls said...

yes! it would have been a waste of a gorgeous snake.