Friday, July 10, 2009

A Bountiful Harvest That Is Not Wasted

I was reminded of a conversation I had with someone about a rambutan tree on the edge of the reserve when I was walking my regular route. Lots of ripened rambutans scattered on the ground, which is not unusual during the fruiting season. This morning I found bees feeding on the fruits. This person remarked to me that it is strange the rambutan tree that stands tall and heavily laden with fruits did not attract the long-tailed macaques. To which I responded that the tree's fruits are sour. This person then remarked that the tree should be chopped down and a new one that bears sweet fruits planted in its place. I told the person that despite the sour fruits, the tree provides food to butterflies, other insects, birds, and bats, and that the tree should be left alone. Like dead standing trees, this tree and many others in the nature reserve have a purpose within the ecosystem.

No comments: