Thursday, July 23, 2009

My First Nightjar Sighting

I came upon this dead Nightjar lying on the road. What a pity, my first Nightjar but a dead one. I ended up photographing the poor bird, which was still fresh and rigor mortise hasn't set in yet. The dead bird is a Savanna Nightjar and I ended up taking some shots of the bird since I had a chanced upon a dead bird.Nightjars are nocturnal birds with long wings, short legs and short beaks. These birds have enormous gapes and are capable of opening their mouths both vertically and horizontally. The gape is surrounded by very long and tactile bristles. These bristles are made from strong, barbless contour feathers.It is believed that the bristles help to funnel insects into the large gape when the Nightjar is feeding on the wing. The bristles also enable the bird to detect insect movements held in the bill, just like the whiskers in mammals.Lovely feather patterns and downy too.

No comments: