Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Rehabilitated Quarries

Drove Bukit Timah Nature Reserve after the opening to check out Hindhede Nature Park. One of two former granite quarries that have been transformed into a wetland with freshwater flora and fauna.Interesting walk and shaded walk up to Hindhede Quarry. Spotted a pair of Banded Woodpeckers as I didn't have my camera set-up properly, there are no shots to share with you.
At the quarry, Pacific Swallows were present along with fresh water turtles so were the long tailed macaques. I heard the White-bellied Sea Eagles but I just couldn't see them.Had some time this afternoon and headed to the newly opened Singapore Quarry, which is part of the Dairy Farm Nature Park. Fantastic site but be prepared for a very long walk in. There was loads of fauna but they were hard to spot unless you have a good pair of binoculars. I spotted a pair of White-bellied Sea Eagles, a number of Bee Eaters, fresh water turtles and even the critically endangered Little Grebe.Even with a 500 mm lens I couldn't get a good shot of this small water bird.

No comments: