Tuesday, March 09, 2010

What is a Toddy Bar?

The car that was transporting me around was a white Hindustan Ambassador, which has been in production since 1958 with few modifications. Despite its British origins, the Ambassador is considered as a definitive Indian car and is fondly called "The king of Indian roads". I loved the car as it is solidly built and steady. Despite several close shaves travelling around Kerala my driver managed to transport me through several towns but I do wish he would have not sounded his horn so often.During the over three hour drive from Fort Kochi to Munnar, I spotted a two of brightly painted new Toddy bars. I then asked the driver to stop at the next toddy bar we passed as I thought it would be fun to capture in pixels the brilliant colors of the next bar. However, the bar we passed was grungy and rundown. I almost didn't want to stop but I am glad I changed my mind as it was an interesting dive.Chandhana Toddy Bar turned out to be an interesting old watering hole and the owner was terrible amused and obliging. He showed me his toddy bar, got his patrons to demonstrate their drinking prowess, and his worker to pose for me.

No comments: