Saturday, October 09, 2010

Urumqi International Bazaar

The Urumqi International Bazaar or Erdaoqiao Bazaar is one of the largest bazaars in the world. We went into the bazaar for an hour and had fun taking in the sights, people and munching on fruits.
Did you know that Xinjiang is a grape growing region? I didn't till I got there and they had mind boggling array of different grades of raisins that were really tasty. The fresh grapes were just as good.
They also sold sun dried cherry tomatoes, which were so sweet. I wished I could have brought back some. We then bought some figs from a street vendor to try.
Melons were in season and the hamigua were just delicious. We all stopped to photograph this fruit seller who was very good with his knife skills, and then rewarded him by each buying a piece of hamigua to eat.
What was of most interest to me were the people, they were all so photogenic.

No comments: