Monday, December 12, 2011

Flying snakes

Exceptional luck presented me with two flying snakes, which almost ended up with me missing the Ferruginous Flycatcher (my original target). Both were spotted sunning themselves one on a sampling and the other on the boardwalk.


As I was pressed for time, the first snake got all my attention. I quietly walked past the second trying not to scare it away with the vibration of my foot falls on the boardwalk.
Twin-barred tree snakes are the smallest and rarest of the flying snakes in Southeast Asia. They share the same habitat with the other two flying/gliding snakes - the Paradise Tree Snake and the Golden Tree Snake. 
This species is by far the most colorful tree snake species with its broad red bands across the body with a corresponding thin white bands that is bordered by two black bands.

No comments: