Thursday, December 01, 2011

Nostalgia: In a blink of an eye

May be it's because we are coming to the end of 2011 and I am getting a little nostalgic with all the announcements of change that we've had this year. It seems like in a blink of an eye many of the things and places that we knew as kids growing up are quietly fading away or making way for development.
I decided to swap my telephoto for a zoom lens and do a little street shooting.
Here's an 87-year-old business in the bird trade that is past its heyday. I remember it fondly as it was where I'd use to go with my dad and uncles to buy pets. These days, I prefer my birds and animals wild and free.
During lunch with friends I was asking if there were any street-side barbers left in Singapore. Never thought I'd find one on the same day.I'm sure there are a couple more tucked away somewhere but they are disappearing too.
Before the days of modern cobblers in malls, there were the cobblers on the road-side who would mend your shoe if it happen to break while you were rushing around. These days, the quick fix is hobbling into a shoe shop and buying a new pair.
The traditional bread bakeries that bake the ubiquitous blackhead bread that we all love with our kaya (coconut and egg jam) and butter toast. There aren't that may such bakeries left and I happily wolfed down two slices of fresh bread generously covered in kaya, which I bought at the bakery.

No comments: