Monday, February 13, 2012

I didn't know this .....

I only recently learned that there were two species of Whistling Ducks at the Botanic Gardens - the Lesser Whistling Duck and the Wandering Whistling Duck (uncommon). So I set out on a quest to locate and identify the Wandering Whistling Ducks among the population of Lesser Whistling Ducks.

A friend said the easiest way to spot the wandering is to look at the eyes of the ducks. Lessers have yellow eye-rings. Armed with that piece of information, I went around studying the ducks, and it didn't take long to pick out the wandering from the lesser.
So here I present to you the two species.
Lesser Whistling Duck
Wandering Whistling Duck
Wandering Whistling Duck are also larger and are reddish brown with white flank plumes but seriously to a lay person, I didn't see the differences till now. If you do see the flock of whistling ducks do keep a look out for the Wandering Whistling Ducks.

No comments: