Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gregarious fellas


Finally, met these gregarious fellas. They were delightful subjects to photograph but don't expect them to sit still for you. A flock of White-crested Laughing Thrush found me as I was hanging around waiting for sunbirds.
taking a bow
I had gone several times to look for these birds at Alexandra Hospital but I never did get to meet them. The first time I met a White-crested Laughing Thrush was at the Jurong Bird Park. I had mentally imagined a bird about the size of a Yellow Vented Bulbul but in front of me was a bird that was twice the size. I filed away the image in my head and forgot about these birds. I first sighted a flock early in the morning last year in a residential area but the flock were high up in the tree canopy. You can imagine my delight when over ten of these birds suddenly come out of the bushes and hopped close to where I was standing. Now I had the birds but they were too big and too close. Eventually, the gregarious bunch settled down and I reconfigured my set-up to allow me to photograph them in pairs.
Parent n a young bird
Pair of adults being affectionate

No comments: