Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pek Kio Market And Food Center

This is a very old market that has been rebuilt three times already. I still remember as a kid, I use to follow my mom to this market even when we lived on Upp. Thomson Road.
The old first generation HDB market is long gone and so are most of the stall holders. In my previous walk around the market, I could only recognise one stall holder - the fruit seller. The old man is way past his prime and does not look to well these days but he still sits at his new stall.
These days I visit the place more for the food, like prawn noodles and the mee chian kueh which are really good. I took a breather this week and had prawn noodles from Wah Kee. There are a number of other stalls of which I'll talk about in future posts.
As I went almost past lunch time there was still a short queue and the lady who was taking orders is usually very harassed so know what you want as she does not tolerate customers who can't place their orders quickly. The lady ahead of me ordered five bowls but could not give clear enough instructions in hokkien and she got the short end of the stick even though her order can up to $25.
I ordered a $5 bowl of dry fine bee hoon and she decided to give me my order ahead of the five bowl order. I wasn't complaining as I was hungry. What I like about this stall is it still uses pork lard and I love the fried crackling that is in the bowl of noodles. They also use dried shrimps in the chili paste and that added additional oomph the the noodles.
What I like about this stall is the freshness of the prawns and the sweetness of the prawn stock. I could easily just have a bowl of the soup on its own.

I like Pin Wei chwee kuehs and I bought two to take home for tea. They are big and firm steam rice flour topped with salted raddish fried with garlic and oil.

No comments: