Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Slow Food

A couple of friends and I had brunch Sunday, and we got to talking about a food and wine trip downunder. I think the food in Australia is just fresh and lovely.
Tonight I'm learning about the Slow Food movement. What is Slow Food?
Slow Food is a non-profit, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world.
The closest movement is in Melbourne, Australia - A Taste of Slow. I also found out that part of the movement is about keeping some of the old traditional foods alive. How many of us have seen traditional food disappear. Admittedly I am guilty of cutting corners when I cook but I also started trying some of the old recipes partly because I wanted to sample these foods as I remember how they tasted way back when.

No comments: