Sunday, October 14, 2007

Smooth Otter At Sungei Buloh

I caught sight of my first smooth otter this evening, but in my excitement I wasn't thinking about the mechanics of my camera and my photos are really bad.
Smooth otters are medium-sized species, that inhabit coastal areas such as estuaries and mangroves. They are usually encountered in family groups of around 4 to 6 individuals which may include near-adult offspring from different breeding seasons. At Sungei Buloh, small family groups are present but not seen very often.
I initially thought the thing that was swimming on the edge of the river was a water monitor till I looked through my lens. It was then that I realised, that I was seeing my first smooth otter. What do I do? Rapidly snap photos and forgetting to check my settings. Hence, the poor quality photos you are about to view.

No comments: