Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cranberry Beans

I have seen other people buying these fresh beans in the market before and have always wanted to try them out, out of curiosity. So I asked my friendly vegetable seller what they were but I couldn't catch what he said in Hokkien but I did understand that they were pretty good in soups. I spent some time Googling to find out the English name for the beans and that's how I found what they are known as. You need to shell the pods and extract the beans for use.I am using them to add flavor in soups much like I would use soy beans. As they are fresh and not dried beans, they cook faster. When cooked the beans are very soft and mushy much like baked beans. I shall have to have another chat with my vegetable seller to see if they can be cooked in a different style.

2 comments:

Mich said...

hmmm very nice delicious blog :)

Shirls said...

Hi Mich,

Thanks! It has been a personal self discovery for me and I'm enjoying every bit of it. ;-)