Sunday, May 04, 2008

Lycaenidae

I suddenly find that I've gone potty over butterflies and I have been chasing them during the weekends. It could be that the heat has made photographing birds a little less accessible for me. And mosquito alley is one of the best places for my favorite butterfly species - Lycaenidae. The others like the Branded Imperial and the Posies all belong to this group.
Nearly all Lycaenidae are small yet colorful butterflies. The family consisting of Hair-streaks, Coppers and Blues. Many species are associate with ants during their early stage of life and practise mutual symbiosis with ants.
This little butterfly is the Pygmy Grass Blue. I shot this one in my garden.
This flighty one is the Common Cearulean, photographed near the ranger's station.This one is the Gram Blue and it was photographed in my garden.

No comments: