Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wild Durians & A Fruit Party

We had to do it at least once, pick durians within the nature reserve. As mentioned in my earlier posts this year has produced a bumper crop of fruits all round. The durian trees in the reserve were laden with fruits and there was plenty to go around.A couple of weeks ago, we picked over 20 fruits as the durians were everywhere. It was a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun. Where in this day and age do you get a chance to pick free durians? We had a heck of a time opening these durians as we did have the right tools to do the job. The durians were also mediocre and now we knew why no one staked out these trees.
Today I held a tropical fruit party at my home and served pomelos, mangosteens, duku langsat, rambutans and durians.I bought two types of durians Sultan and Mao Shan Wang (Cat Mountain King). Sultan is the dark yellow flesh and is bitter sweet to taste. The pale fleshed version is Mao Shan Wang and it has a bitter after taste and a tiny seed. I bought 12 packets of durian and we finished 8 of the 12. I froze the balance of slightly over 1 kg of durian meat, for round 2 next weekend, where I shall make durian puffs for tea.

No comments: