Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grilled Buffalo Skin For Lunch

This was the main dish for my Kamu guide who took me trekking on my second day in Laos. He plucked a bunch of pea eggplants on our way into the village, which is in the bowl above. In the front bowl is grilled buffalo skin and a chili paste made of chili, herb and fish sauce.
He'll eat this with a lot of sticky rice, which is a staple of the Lao people.What you do is grab a lump of sticky rice, squeeze it into a lump in your hand and dunk it into the chili paste.I had fried rice but I did give the grilled buffalo skin a try. It was like biting into dried leather and you have to have very strong teeth. After chewing it for a while it does have some flavor. This is what the ungrilled skins look like and they are abundant in a street market I discovered within the old city of Luang Prabang.

No comments: