Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mid-Autumn Festival 2009

Thought it would be fun to head down to Chinatown and take in the sights like a tourist since the area is lighted up for Mid-Autumn Festival.
Mid-Autumn Festival is by Chinese, Koreans, and Vietnamese people as a harvest festival, even though it is celebrated by each differently. In Singapore, it is also sometimes referred to as the Lantern Festival or Mooncake Festival.
What is the festival without the traditional goodies like mooncakes and pomelos. My friend who was my Chinatown guide brought me to the oldest traditional baked mooncakes store - Chinatown Tai Chong Kok Confectionery - which is a household name for many generations. It was my first time at the store and I was fascinated.
I am not much of a mooncake eater but I do love tradition and this store was such a throw back. The ladies of course were equally taken with me when I confessed to them that it was my first time at their store. We still managed to converse with my half-baked Mandarin. I walked away with some great photos and a paper bag of mini mooncakes.
Outside were stalls stacked to the brim with pomelos. I love pomelos and will eat them pretty much all year round when I can get them.Last but not the least what is mid-autumn without the lanterns.

No comments: