Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve Shoot

I am still spying on the pair of kings, for the past three days the male has been bringing skinks back to the nest site. Today, he caught a skink early at around 10:30 am, and he sat on the wire with the skink. In trying to maneuver the skink the bird lost the lizard and had to dive to retrieve it mid air. What a save but I was too slow to catch it.The female didn't come and he finally decided to swallow the skink. It was safer than letting it hang out between its beak.Since I finished early today, I took my camera and headed out in search of birds. Found the Blue Winged Pitta but it was in a very bad location. I shot it against sun light and a white sky. The shot was a total washout. It was also very skittish and I decided not to wait around for the bird as it fly away. There is always another day, next year.I was glad a tagged along with another very experienced birder and I got to shoot the elusive Hooded Pitta. However, the Orange Headed Thrush still eludes me.Here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy and peaceful 2010. Happy New Year!!!

5 comments:

:: said...

Whoa...amazing shots, especially the one eating the lizard. And all these in Singapore? Didn't know Singapore has such beautiful birds! Happy new year!

Shirls said...

Happy New Year!

We do have wildlife here but the areas where they live is becoming smaller and smaller as the concrete jungle grows.

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Happy New Year 2010.
Portugal

Shawn said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Year! I know I'm a bit late, since I was back only yesterday. Have to say that these birds are really beautiful! Especially the pitta. I remember seeing one very similar in my backyard in India this time!

Shirls said...

Hi Shawn, happy new year.

Yes, there are Pittas in India, such as the India Pitta. :) You may have seen one for sure.