Thursday, January 12, 2012

One of my favorite bird family group

The first time I laid eyes on Bee-eaters was probably five years ago was in Bishan Park canal (now converted back to a river). To me Bee-eaters always seem to be such happy birds because of their melodious chirps and soaring/gliding flight pattern. Till today, I am still fascinated with them and have gotten introduced to more from the family group.
I remember when I hung out my window trying to get a decent photo of a Blue-tailed Bee-eater sitting on my neighbors' antennas (which meant crappy and unnatural perches).
Then trying to sneak up on Blue-throated Bee-eaters as they sat on dead standing trees on the edge of the nature reserve.

We have two species of bee-eaters here. Each species spend 6 months in a year in Singapore. The Blue-tailed are here from October - April there about, while the Blue-throated arrive April - October to begin their breeding season here. Given that we are land scarce, there will be fewer nesting sites available for these bee-eaters in years to come. A quirky family trait, bee-eaters don't nest above ground but dig nests in light sandy soil to raise their young.
In December, I went on a drive vacation with friends up to West Malaysia, and I had the best time with the Blue-tailed Bee-eaters there in open paddy fields.
In addition, I got introduced to another bee-eater, the Chestnut-headed Bee-eater that breeds in Penang.
Go further north to Thailand and you will see Green Bee-eaters.

No comments: